Friday, January 05, 2007

Top Songs of 2006: Volume 1: Best of the Best

This year I decided I was going to create the ultimate year-end playlist. That's right...

ul-tim-ate (adjective): being the best or most extreme example of its kind

...well, based on what I like (and that is the only criteria in this case, because this is not a democracy -- it's a Carenocracy)

On my year-end list, I tried to only include songs that were released in 2006, though a few from 2005 slipped in because they were, as VH1 would say, "Big in 06." I'll post the complete list -- 150 songs total (booyah!) -- over the next few days, broken into volumes that fit onto individual CDs.

To start things off, here is:

"2006 Volume 1: Best of the Best"

1. "Fraud in the 80s," Mates of State
2. "Consolation Prizes," Phoenix
3. "Bandits," Midlake
4. "All Will Be Well (Live at World Cafe Live)," Gabe Dixon Band
5. "Man O'War," Eric Bachmann
6. "Adlai Stevenson," Sufjan Stevens
7. "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song," Flaming Lips
8. "Wolves at Night," Manchester Orchestra
9. "Hot Soft Light," The Hold Steady
10. "Wolf Like Me," TV on the Radio
11. "Ultimatum," The Long Winters
12. "Lived in Bars," Cat Power
13. "Girl in the War," Josh Ritter
14. "Dokkoise House (With Face Covered)," Anathallo
15. "Nausea," Beck
16. "Crane Wife 3," The Decemberists
17. "Skeleton Key," Margot & the Nuclear So And So's
18. "Denton, TX," Damien Jurado
19. "I Will Be Grateful For This Day," Bright Eyes

Don't see your favorite song? Wondering if I'm bringing SexyBack? (Yeah!) Well, I've got 132 songs left to post... be patient... good things come to those who wait.

If you want to hear any of these songs, or better yet download them, I made an iMix! Enjoy!

No comments: