Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It's the end of the year! Wait... it's the end of the year? Where did it go?!
Well, in that case, that means its time for my 100 Favorite Songs of the Year. Yes, 100. No more, no less.
Some ground rules and disclaimers for my list:
1. There shall be no "repeat artists" unless an artist had projects under different names this year (ex. Josh Rouse recorded under "Josh Rouse" and "She's Spanish, I'm American" this year, so that counts as two artists ... "Kanye West" and "Mr. West" is one in the same)
2. If a song was released in 2006 but got popular in 2007, it doesn't count. We're only going on release dates here or else there will be lawlessness, and lawlessness means anarchy and there will be no anarchy on my blog!
3. I like what I like, and I'm sorry if you disagree. You are welcome to petition in the comments section here or on Facebook.
4. These 100 songs will be broken into six playlists: Best of the Best, It's Not My Fault I'm So Popular, Perfect for ABC Primetime TV, As Heard on the Blogs, My Mom Says I'm a Catch and Obscurity to Impress Your Friends
5. Each playlist will be made available via iTunes and posted for you, but in some cases, songs will not be available for sale on iTunes... because of this, I will try to provide links whenever possible to the hard-to-find or more obscure songs.
I will begin by sharing "2007 Volume 1: Best of the Best"... these are, in my humble but more informed opinion, the best songs of the year, in no particular order...
Blonde Redhead - 23
Wilco - Either Way
Fionn Regan - Be Good or Be Gone
I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona
Josh Ritter - The Temptation of Adam
Avett Brothers - Die Die Die
Loney, Dear - I Am John
Dashboard - Modest Mouse
Ryan Adams - Two
Feist - 1234
Bright Eyes - Four Winds
The Arcarde Fire - Intervention
Bloc Party - Waiting for the 7.18
Radiohead - Nude
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - Falling Slowly
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
M.I.A. - Jimmy
The National - Start a War
The New Pornographers - My Rights Versus Yours
Iron & Wine - Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car
Joseph Arthur & the Lonely Astronauts - Chicago
Band of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You
Andrew Bird - Scythian Empires
The best lyrics goes to Josh Ritter from "The Temptation of Adam"...
"We passed the time with crosswords that she thought to bring inside/ 'What five letters spell apocalypse?' she asked me / I won her over saying, 'W.W.I.I.I.' / She smiled and we both knew that she misjudged me."
Tomorrow, I explain: 2007 Volume 2: It's Not My Fault I'm So Popular