Friday, June 06, 2008

J.K. Rowling's Harvard Haters


Photo by Robert Spencer for NPR

Thanks to Katie for bringing me this NPR story about J.K. Rowling's keynote speech at Harvard's commencement.

Can she come back in 2010?!? I would be THRILLED to hear J.K. Rowling speak!

But not everyone shares this enthusiasm...

"I think we could have done better," shrugged computer science major Kevin Bombino. ..."You know, we're Harvard. We're like the most prominent national institution. And I think we should be entitled to … we should be able to get anyone. And in my opinion, we're settling here. "


You know what I think, Kevin? You're like the reason that, like, recruiters are hesitant about hiring graduates of the "most prominent national institution." And I think we should be entitled to slap you. And in my opinion, NPR just did. Snap!

Okay, maybe that's harsh. But yikes! As Jason Mraz once told our office, "Practice graciousness!"

Props to 10-year-old Allister Beeson for this excellent commentary:

"That was a terrible thing to say! They're just a bunch of Muggles!"

1 comment:

theleila said...

o. m. g. i actually woke up to that story on my radio alarm the other day and was so pissed for the rest of the morning... and am still severely irate! that guy is an incredibly snob who obviously thinks too highly of himself. even the parents were saying those kids needed to be knocked down a couple of notches.

wankers.

oh and yeah, bunch of muggles!