Thursday, August 02, 2007

Caren Explains: Lollapalooza



By the time this post gets time-stamped, I'll be in Chicago for Lollapalooza.

According to Merriam-Webster...

lol·la·pa·loo·za, Pronunciation: "lä-l&-p&-'lü-z&"
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Definition: one that is extraordinarily impressive; also: an outstanding example

Most anyone who keeps up with pop culture knows Lollapalooza to be one of the summer's best and biggest music festivals.

The first Lollapalooza was a traveling festival organized in 1991 by Perry Farrell (then of Jane's Addiction, now of Satellite Party). It died in 1997, was reincarnated in 2003, then died again. The fine folks at Capitol Sports & Entertainment (now C3 Presents) brought it back to life in 2005 in its present format - a weekend festival in Chicago's Grant Park.

I'm pretty pumped for Chicago, seeing old friends, tons of music, etc, though I am exhausted from recent traveling binges and lack of sleep.

Bands I've Never Seen and Look Forward to Seeing in My One Day at Lolla:
I'm From Barcelona
M.I.A
The Fratellis
Fields
Ryan Shaw

Bands I've Seen Too Many Times But Will Gladly See Again:
Colour Revolt
The Polyphonic Spree
The Rapture
Sparklehorse

And I must not forget the real reason for my trip! Paste Presents: Live in Chicago! party... secret line-up, intimate venue, OurStage bands and Guitar Hero on stage... stay tuned for pictures.

No comments: