Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Caren Explains: Life as a Simpsons Avatar

In college I was kicked out of my Visual Culture class by my professor because I had never seen a full episode of The Simpsons.

"Are you American?!" he asked, completely flabbergasted.
"Yes."
"Are you Amish?"
"No."
"Get out of my class," he snarled. "Don't come back until you've watched an episode."

I thought he was kidding, until the guy next to me whispered, "I think you should go now...."

I still loved that professor, and I'll probably see The Simpsons Movie regardless of my lack of Simpsons knowledge, especially since I've now worked myself into the movie using the Create Your Simpsons Avatar tool.

What is an "avatar"?

According to Wikipedia: "An avatar (abbreviations include AV, ava, avie, avy, avi, avvie, and avvy) is an Internet user's representation of himself or herself, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games,[1] a two-dimensional icon (picture) used on Internet forums and other communities,[2][3] or a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs."

So here's what I'd look like in Springfield:

As you can see, I am wearing many of my signature styles... red Gianni Bini shoes, Aviator sunglasses, jeans... my t-shirt even has a rubber duck on it... I'd probably hang out at Moe's a lot... not too bad, Simpsons Avatar tool.

You can make yourself or anyone else you know into a character, too, at SimpsonsMovie.com... brilliant marketing, brilliant fun...

No comments: