Thursday, June 15, 2006

Worthy Pursuits and Playlists -- from June 8, 2006

New music that you should look (and listen!) for

Matt Costa -- Huntington Beach, CA -- Brushfire Records

He's Jack Johnson's buddy (the record is out on Jack's label), similarly armed with an acoustic guitar and earthy lyrics. His voice most resembles young indie-darling, Ben Kweller, though. Matt rocks on a few tracks -- "Sweet Thursday" and "Cold December" -- but the others are pretty pleasant and mellow -- "Astair" and "These Arms." For fans of... well, Jack Johnson and Ben Kweller. www.myspace.com/mattcostamusic

The Rewinds -- Birmingham, AL -- Livewire Recordings

I found songs from The Rewinds self-titled album when I was pillaging from my friend Nate's iTunes library. "I like this band The Rewinds," I said. "I just found it randomly," he told me. Then I went to request to be their friend on MySpace, and found -- oops, I'm already their friend... I accepted their unsolicited request one day and never listened. That lapse in judgement aside... it's very slick power-pop-rock. You'll hear some Depeche Mode, Strokes, and Superdrag influences in there. www.myspace.com/therewinds -- "Ghostriders" and "Sentimental Flaw" are the best tracks on the album and they're up there.

Gomez -- Southport, England, UK -- ATO Records

You may already be familiar with this one (they've been around about 10 years) but the new album is out now. Creative mix of rough-around-the-edges rock and blues. Heavy on the percussion and harmonies (which are especially unique because the lead singer's voice has been described as "whiskey and gravel"). Very quotable lyrics on this album (ex. See the world / Find an old fashioned girl / And when all's been said and done / It's the things that are given, not won / Are the things that you earned). For fans of Pearl Jam, Beck, Wilco, Super Furry Animals. www.myspace.com/gomez

Playlist of the week...

"Songs from the 1997 Mix Tape I Found When I Cleaned My Car Last Week"

Third Eye Blind, "Semi-Charmed Life"
Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Rascal King"
Oasis, "D'You Know What I Mean?"
Sugar Ray, "Fly"
Foo Fighters, "Everlong"
Shawn Colvin, "Sonny Came Home"
Verve Pipe, "The Freshman"
Blur, "Song 2"
Prodigy, "Breathe"
Sublime, "Wrong Way"
311, "Don't Stay Home"
Smashing Pumpkins, "1979"
Poe, "Angry Johnny"
Meredith Brooks, "Bitch"
White Town, "Your Woman"
Jimmie's Chicken Shack, "High"

No comments: